Friday, July 11, 2014

Blog Police

My baby sister just sent me a .gif of Nicki Minaj wagging her finger at me for recent lack of blog posts. She's not the first person to tell me to post this week but when Nicki Minaj wags her finger at you, you cower in fear. That or you rap battle her and you lose. Rightfully so, my sister is the blog police. She has her own kick-ass blog about how to live with Dysautonomia and POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) called Let's Feel Better (Check it out!).


I have a hard time remembering to do anything on a weekly basis, none the less on a daily basis. BUT, I'm committed to this. So, here's what's been going on....


My mom came into town last week! I haven't seen her in my neck of the woods for about 4-5 years. I live out in Seattle and since it's easier for me to come out there with my work schedule, I usually have to go out to Florida to see her.


She was really enthusiastic about trying the vegan foods that we had out here and we had some incredible meals in the last week. The fourth of July was especially awesome. I really thought my stepdad was going to insist on grilling up some fish or meat but since he's an orthodox jew and I'm respectful of his kosher household, he was pretty understanding about eating vegan at my place. Which is a relief because I'm still not over my love for seafood.

We ended up going to our local co-op and picking up a bunch of different vegan hot dogs. I found a recipe for Mexican Street Corn and whipped that up too by replacing the spicy cream sauce with a combination of vegan mayo and sriracha. A few friends of mine came over and were pretty determined to make takoyaki, so they whipped up a vegan version for us. It probably lasted 20 seconds. I couldn't even really take a photo of it, it was gone so fast. But if you're like me and you love takoyaki, it can be done and it is amazing! (In case you were wondering, we ditched the fish flakes, subbed the mayo for vegan mayo, and subbed the octopus for vegan sausage...because that's all we had to use. I'm sure there's a better replacement for the fish, we just didn't have anything.)


Right after my mom left, I was feeling a little heavy from all that food....
Maybe I'm eating too much soy?
I decided to switch to fruits and veggies for a few days to see if I feel any better. My weight never really fluctuates but lately, I'm gaining a pound or two. We'll see how it pans out.

It doesn't help that the very nice people at So Delicious just sent me a big package of ice cream for me to sample! (By the way, that is a FABULOUS freaking package to receive in the mail, in the heat of July!) Alas, my quest for a good vegan yogurt must continue!

I'll let you know what all that deliciousness is about, in a few days!

But tonight, we're eating raw!
I did my first attempt at making cashew cheese, which was really simple! It's also the best thing ever.
I threw in a bunch of rosemary from my garden and I'm going to make stuffed portobello mushrooms with it. I found a great recipe at RawMazing.com. Check it out!









No comments:

Post a Comment