Friday, June 27, 2014

What's the best remedy to a hard day?... Surf Sweets!

This has been a very challenging week for me in my personal life. A year ago, I left Colorado completely heartbroken to move back to Seattle. One $400 speeding ticket and a few thousand miles later - I had to rebuild my life. I did. I did it really well. And a year later, it sort of fell apart again. Such is life?

As a professional musician, my first to-do was to obtain a new band. I managed to put together a killer band and the last year has been a whirlwind of some of the largest crowds I've ever played to. We've played bunches of shows outside and inside of Seattle, recorded, and got fairly close to each other.

As of two nights ago, we're down to two players. Ahead of me are two of the biggest shows I've ever had the opportunity to play (one of which, I'll be headlining). I'm sad that my bandmates had to part ways and I'm scared that I'm not going to be able to pull it off in time. This isn't the only challenging thing going on, it was just the last straw. In my right mind, I know it's all going to work out...but damn...

Just as the day was coming to an end and I was ready to crawl in my lady-cave and hibernate until things were looking up again , I came home to find a package waiting for me from non-other than Surf Sweets! (With that kind of timing, it's as if they knew it was my #1 comfort food...)



Surf Sweets has a line of organic and naturally sweetened vegan gummies. Instead of gelatin, they use pectin and tapioca syrup. I'm not going to lie, these were the most delicious gummy candies I've ever had. They sent me a few different kinds to try out, including their Organic Fruit Bears, their Sour Berry Bears, Peach Rings, Sour Worms, and their fruit chews.

Don't judge me but I  ate most of these while bawling me yes out last night. At least I didn't have to cry about overeating animal hooves or really bad junk food.

All the ingredients in these candies, you can really feel good about. If I had kids, I'd have no problem sending them to school with these and then collecting them after school when their sugar rush has ended.

My personal favorites were the Sour Berry Bears and the Sour Worms (but I'm partial to sour). The runner up's were the fruit chews and the Fruit Bears. A few of my girlfriends came over today and we snacked on the peach rings and fruit chews.

The sour candies were not overly sour. Some other gummy candies are so sour that the roof of your mouth hurts and parts of your tongue kind of feel like they melted off. These were just sour enough to be considered sour but not really as intense as a warhead.

The Fruity Bears were really interesting! They had a grapefruit flavored bear in their that was a surprise to me and now I kind of wish they had a bag with only that flavor (not that the other flavors weren't great too. But grapefruit?!?!)

As far as peach rings are concerned...Usually, I don't like peach flavored candies because artificial peach flavoring tastes a lot less like peaches and a lot more like a headache but these Peach Rings tasted just like peaches! The other girls really seemed to like them. In fact, they finished off the bag as soon as turned around.

Another thing I liked about them is they didn't seem to stick to your teeth like other gummy candies. But when you cry yourself to sleep with candy by your side, this is bound to happen...


So if you're just making the transition to veganism or you're just looking for a healthier candy, you have the Brand Nugan mark of approval for a solid, cruelty free gelatin replacement. Thanks for saving the day, Surf Sweets! <3

(P.S. I have The BIGGEST crush on Kat Dennings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment